Best Way to Clean a Dab Rig
Best Way to Clean a Dab Rig
We get that cleaning and maintaining your dab rig is not on the top of your to-do list, especially after a nice and pleasant sesh. You just want to sit back, relax, and chill out. However, if you want the next sesh to be just as sweet, you will want to carve out some time for cleaning your dab rig. With our guide on the best way to clean your dab rig; getting in the habit is easier than it sounds.
Cloud 9 Smoke Co. Guide on the Best Way to Clean a Dab Rig
First, we are going to point out why it’s important to clean your dab rig:
- The used water is gross and can grow stagnant real fast. You don’t want filthy, dank water sloshing around your rig.
- Prevents sticky resin from staining your beautiful glass piece.
- Makes you look like you take adulting seriously when it comes to your gear.
But in all seriousness, the real reason why you need to clean a dab rig is accumulated resin lines on the inside of your rigs, nail, and accessories. Charred resin drastically affects the flavor of your concentrates and will take your yummy seshes to yuckville! Also, a banger that has heavy residue could result in no longer being effective and can crack or break when being reheated. We all know that nobody likes wasted concentrates. Another reason why you’d want to clean your dab rig is: dirty rigs create harsher hits, which is not so great if you have respiratory issues or asthma.
Keeping your dab rig spic-and-span also helps extend the life of your expensive gear, which means more money to spend on concentrates. When resin gets packed or baked on the glass, it will weaken in causing it to crack when heat is applied.
How to Clean a Dab Rig Like a Boss!
Cleaning out your dab rig is pretty straightforward. You don’t need complicated tools or chemicals. Instead, you have plenty of cleaning supplies under your bathroom sink.
Here is a list of items you will need to clean a dab rig
- Isopropyl Alcohol or Resinate Cleaning Solution
- Coarse Rock Salt or Epsom Salt
- 2x Resealable ziplock bags
- Glob Mops (preferred)
- Dab Tool
- Handheld torch
Now that you have all your supplies ready, it is time to start the process of cleaning your dab rig. Here are our step-by-step instructions to having a nice clean rig! NOTE: This cleaning process is intended for glass dab rigs.
- Step 1 - Remove the banger and carb caps from your rig and place them separately in the resealable bags. Pour Resinate (or Isopropyl Alcohol) inside each bag and let it soak. If your banger and carb cap is stained or caked with resin, add a tablespoon of coarse Epsom or sea salt and gently shake. You may have to soak your banger and carb cap for up to an hour if they are exceptionally dirty.
- Step 2 - Pour the used water out of your dab rig and add the Epsom or coarse salt with a little bit of alcohol. Let it sit for a few minutes and then gently swirl the mixture around. Once all the areas have been covered with the mixture, cover the mouthpiece and other openings and shake.
- Step 3 - This step is very important as you don’t want to leave the mixture inside your dab rig. Make sure you rinse with warm water for at least 4 minutes.
- Step 4 - Add alcohol to your Glob Mops to get inside any crevices. Rinse well and dry with a clean cloth. For hard to reach areas, we recommend using pipe cleaners.
Another option for the best way to clean a dab rig is using cleaners designed specifically for water pipes. We love Resinate Green -- this product comes with everything inside for great for making your dab rig shine again.
Bonus Tips on the Best Way to Clean Your Dab Rig
The dab banger will be the one piece on your rig that needs the most attention and will need to be cleaned after every sesh. To get an effective clean, the nail will need to be hot so that the residue easily wipes off. Using a Glob Mops, insert into your heated nail and swab -- be certain to get the crevice where the base meets the wall of the banger. Remember to use a clean swab every time you swipe so that no previous gunk gets left behind.
How to Keep Your Dab Tools Clean
Cleaning your dab tools does not have to seem like a chore. Just like your dab rig, cleaning your dab tools is just as important. The easiest way to keep your tools in pristine condition is to clean them after every use. Regular maintenance keeps all of your accessories from getting sticky and covered with brown residue.
After every dab, you should wipe down the inside of your nail using a Glob Mop. You can even heat your nail to help melt any residue and wipe clean from there.