The BEST Hookah Shop Near You!
Welcome to the hookah zone! Cloud 9 Smoke Co is your one-stop smoke shop for the best hookahs and complete hookah kits at affordable prices. We believe in offering our customers the best possible products at the best prices! This means connecting you to the best deals on all of our products, year round. Cloud 9 Smoke Co is guided on the principle of enhancing your smoking experience, and we do this by offering the newest and most innovative Hookah products on the market. Explore our ever-expanding collection of high quality hookahs from popular brands such as Vadra, Starbuzz, MOB Hookah, and Zahrah! Our hookahs come in various shapes, sizes, and designs which will allow you to find the perfect hookah for your home. Whether you’re looking to share the hookah with the homies or to have an intimate, personal sesh, we’ve got you covered!
What is a Hookah?
A hookah is a special kind of water pipe that’s made for consuming shisha tobacco. Compared to traditional water pipes, hookahs are typically placed on flat surfaces (such as a table or the floor) to be shared and smoked through the use of hoses. Additionally, hookahs tend to be a bit larger in size and require specific types of charcoal to provide heat for their function.
Much like water pipes, hookahs use water in their base to diffuse and filter the smoke to allow you to inhale thunderous clouds without irritating your throat and lungs to the point of coughing up a lung. Hookahs are made to enjoy leisurely smoke seshes and can burn for long periods of time, so you can include friends and family during a sesh, if you’d like!
What Do You Smoke Out of a Hookah?
Hookahs are primarily used to smoke, or consume, a special kind of tobacco called shisha tobacco. Shisha tobacco is created from various leaves, such as Virginia Tobacco leaves, combined with molasses, vegetable glycerol, and various flavors to produce dense clouds packed full of flavor. On average, shisha tobacco contains around 70% more nicotine than one cigarette, so if you don’t have a tolerance for nicotine, you may want to tread lightly during your first smoke sesh with a hookah and shisha tobacco.
How Do I Set Up a Hookah?
Setting up a hookah for the first time may seem confusing and difficult at first glance, but in reality it’s quite simple. Here are a few steps you can take to set up a hookah, the right way!
How to set up a hookah:
- Place the stem of the hookah (with the base gasket) into the glass base of the hookah. This fitting should be airtight.
- Place the metal tray over the top of the hookah stem. Depending on the model of hookah you’ve purchased, the tray may fit loosely or snap into place. Some smaller hookahs come with fixed trays, so you won’t have to worry about this step.
- Insert the hose end (with the gasket) into the hose port on the hookah stem.
- If the hookah model that you’ve purchased comes with an external purge valve, unscrew it to make sure there is a ball bearing inside. Once you’ve confirmed that there is a ball bearing, screw the valve back on. The external purge valve is usually placed on the opposite end of the hose port on the hookah stem.
- Check the airflow of your hookah by putting your hand over the top of the hookah stem and sucking in with the hose. There should be little to no air intake.
- Remove the hookah stem from the base and fill the base with water. Place the hookah stem back into the vase. The stem should be submerged about ½” into the water.
- Break up your chosen shisha tobacco and gently lay it into the bowl. You’ll want to sprinkle the shisha in so that it is loose enough for air to pass through. Always fill the shisha tobacco to the rim of the bowl, but no higher.
- If you’re using a foil screen, place it on top of the bowl and wrap the foil over the head of the bowl so that it fits snugly. If you haven’t already, poke holes into the foil so air can pass through.
- Place the clay bowl on top of the hookah stem with the bowl gasket between the hookah stem and the bowl. The clay bowl should fit snugly.
- Light your coals. If you’ve chosen quick light coals, you can use a lighter to light them. If you’ve chosen natural coals, you’ll need a stove or a torch to light the coals. Wait for the coals to become red hot all over before placing them on top of your hookah bowl. Break the coals up into smaller pieces and evenly place them on the head of the hookah bowl. Be careful not to add too many coals. Your smoke will become too hot and harsh to consume.
- Inhale on your hose. It may take a couple of minutes for the hookah to begin smoking properly. Once your hookah is smoking how it should, you’re good to go! Enjoy!
How Do I Make Bigger Hookah Clouds?
It’s no doubt that when you’re smoking out of a hookah, you’ll want to look like a dragon at some point or another. No matter the size of your hookah, your clouds will always depend on how you’ve prepared your bowl.
Cloud 9 Smoke Co recommends filling your bowl loosely with shisha tobacco to the top (to the rim!) and gently pat down any leaves that may be sticking out from the rim. This allows heat to evenly distribute throughout the shisha instead of heating certain areas, leaving other parts of the shisha in your bowl blocked. This will create a harsh sesh, and no one wants that! You’ll always want to make sure you have the right amount of heat on top of your bowl. We recommend lighting at least 2-3 pieces of natural charcoal or 2 pieces of quick lighting charcoal for each sesh.
How Do I Clean a Hookah?
A good rule of thumb is to make sure that you clean your hookah before and after use! This will keep your seshes as hygienic as possible, while also providing the most amount of flavor during a smoke session. You’ll need a shaft brush and a base brush to scrub away any water build up and lingering smells. Our go-to cleaner for hookahs is the Randy’s Black Label Cleaner that can be used to clean glass, metal, and ceramic.
Here’s a quick breakdown on how to clean each part of your hookah.
Stem - Run your stem through hot water and wet your stem brush. Push the stem brush into one end of your stem, and move the brush back and forth working 6-10 inches of the pipe at a time until the entire stem is done. If the stem of your hookah is longer than the brush, you can insert the brush at the opposite end of the stem to clean the rest. Run more hot water through the stem again, and repeat with the brush (this time, soak it in a cleaning solution). When you’ve cleaned the entire stem, rinse again with hot water.
Base - Pour the dirty water out from your base and rinse the base with hot water. With your base brush, scrub the base to loosen any debris or resin inside. You’ll want to pour the water out as soon as you’ve scrubbed your base. Leaving your hookah base full of water for long periods of time may cause mold, which will build up around the water lines. After you’ve done the initial rinse and scrub, repeat the process but use a cleaning solution this go-around! Rinse with hot water again after you’ve finished cleaning the entire base.
Hose - If your hookah hose is washable, you’re going to need to take extra care in cleaning and caring for your hose. To tell if your hose is washable, check inside the hose to make sure it has a plastic, or silicone, lining or is made out of plastic, acrylic, or silicone. All you need to do is rinse the hose out with hot water. Do not put any washable hoses in your dishwasher or washing machine. They will fall apart because the exterior is not designed for those conditions. Only the inside of the hose is made to handle exposure to moisture. Once you’ve rinsed your hose, hang your hoses to air dry.
Bowls - Clay and ceramic bowls should be rinsed, at the very least. Any black staining that you find in your hookah bowl is difficult to remove, and you can scrub the glaze off of your bowl after long-term scrubbing. Make sure to rinse or use small pipe brushes to clean out the neck and holes of the hookah bowl.
Can I Make a Custom Hookah?
Most hookahs sold at Cloud 9 Smoke Co come as complete packages that include a base, stem, and matching pieces. However, you can absolutely choose accessories and replacement parts to make your hookah customized to your liking! All you have to do is find the right hose, hookah bowl, wind cover, heat management system, and replacement base that you prefer, and you’re sailing high ground from there on.
If you ever need any help picking out the right accessories or replacement parts for your hookah, send us a message on our LiveChat! We have hookah experts willing and ready to assist you during the process.
The Best Hookahs to Buy Online
Buying a complete hookah kit doesn’t always have to be a chore or a headache! Cloud 9 Smoke Co has the best hookahs to choose from online, and to help you decide we’ve included some of our favorite hookahs.
Vadra Liberty Hookah ($99.99) - The Vadra Liberty Hookah takes on the modern style of hookah and is perfect for tabletop seshes. The clear acrylic panels of the hookah allow you to watch the water inside the hookah bubble and the smoke swirl through its watertight panel! What makes this hookah so special, beyond its design, is its diffused downstem which will allow you to enjoy a quiet, smooth hookah sesh.
Starbuzz Carbine 2.0 Hookah ($359.99) - This hookah is seriously all about sparking conversation and turning heads! The Carbine 2.0 is equipped with a 360-degree swivel, so you can easily twist and pass the hose to the next homie in rotation. To bring life to a sesh, this hookah features an integrated LED light base and all-terrain legs, so you can enjoy a sesh whenever, wherever!
Everember Emperor Hookah Resin Edition ($169.99) - If you’re looking for a hookah that is absolutely beautiful in design, the Emperor Hookah is for you! This hookah features a gorgeous etched glass base with a resin stem that really makes this hookah stand out from the rest. If you want a go-to hookah that will impress anyone who smokes from it, this is the one!
MOB Hookah Kepra MDS1 ($119.99) - The MOB Kepra is another beautiful hookah that will have anyone in awe while looking at it! This hookah is a bit smaller in size, making it the perfect contender for a barstool, tabletop, or intimate sesh on your porch or balcony. Not to mention, its external purge valve will do all the heavy lifting for you and won’t make you pause a phenomenal sesh to expel old smoke!